Visualizing Your Spiritual Journey
Because I moved away, my friend Mary now offers these retreats alone. Both she and I are also available to offer similar retreats for other groups.
Dates for the 2010-2011 year:
Sept 10-12, Nov 5-7, Jan 14-16, March 4-6, May 6-8
This retreat provides space for participants to explore their spiritual journey through scrapbooking, photography, and other visual arts.
No art experience is necessary, just a desire to enrich your prayer life and connect with God in new ways around your life story.
Both Mary and I found the artistic expression of life journey to be healing as we worked through grief following the death of family members. Mary enjoys working with paper collage and fabric. I enjoy writing, scrapbooking, and photography.
We will be using the metaphor of a tree to picture our lives—
Sept/Nov weekends we focus on our roots:
- the past, our family, history, childhood
- we will reflect on what was most and least life-giving to from our past
- we will reflect on how we felt God present or absent in our past
- reflection activities will provide a way of expressing our emotions and desires related to our history
- we will ask ourselves what where we might need healing and how we can hold that before God
Jan/Mar weekends focus on the trunk:
- these months will include similar exercises with new focus of looking at our present situation in life
- we will look at what currently sustains us and gives us life
- our focus will be on who we are in our inner core and how we relate to God in that centered place
- we will ask ourselves what we need in life to continue to strengthen our interior life
May weekend focus on the branches/leaves:
- again similar exercises with new focus
- look at how we live and reach out into the world
- how we carry the presence of God into our world
- camera (a digital will allow immediate printing of photos)
- art and scrapbook supplies you enjoy using
- a few extra dollars to contribute to printing expenses
- old magazines (National Geographic are excellent)
The retreat is hosted by Kairos: School of Spiritual Formation. For more info contact the Kairos office at 717-669-2957 or register online at
the Kairos website.
If you have questions, you may also feel free to contact me directly through the "contact me" tab.
Return from Visualizing Your Spiritual Journey to the Journey-through-Grief homepage